The Leadership Rhode Island Senior Fellows Program, in partnership with Age-Friendly Rhode Island, is an 8-week summer program geared to lifting the voices, knowledge, and vision of Rhode Island residents 62 and older.
Thanks to generous support from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island and Age-Friendly Rhode Island, this program is offered at no cost to participants.
Who Should Apply?
You might consider applying for our Senior Fellows Program if:
- You are 62 or older
- You are interested in increasing your awareness of civic issues in Rhode Island
- You would like to engage with a diverse network of leaders
- You have demonstrated commitment to improving healthy aging in the state of Rhode Island, whether through professional work, volunteering, or genuine interest and readiness to serve
- You are committed to assisting Age-Friendly Rhode Island or another local partner make progress on an identified area of need, and potentially continuing their commitment after the program ends
- You are able to provide your own transportation to and from session days
This is a fast-paced program aimed at deepening your knowledge around the most pressing issues facing older adults in Rhode Island, building community and a sense of belonging among, and providing structure and clear pathways for, older adults to engage civically.
Over the course of the program, you will meet a diverse group of leaders from across the state, many from the extensive Leadership Rhode Island alumni network, working on challenges, such as transportation, food insecurity, healthcare, housing, and more.
In addition, you will be tasked with assisting and/or leading a project that advances healthy aging in the state. This service commitment will mostly occur beyond the conclusion of the program. Participants are expected to engage in their identified area of service within six months of the program ending.
It is important to note that while the program centralizes community-building and connecting across differences, similar to Leadership Rhode Island’s well known Core Program, it is a different experience.
In joining this group of leaders, you will help support Age-Friendly Rhode Island’s mission to create partnerships, catalyze change, and build a community that supports and empowers aging Rhode Islanders.
Selected participants will meet once a week from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm from May 7th 2024 to June 25th 2024. Most sessions will take place on Tuesdays at the Leadership Rhode Island office in Providence, except for the June 3rd session, which will take place on a Monday at the Rhode Island State House.
- Tuesday, May 7th (LRI Office)
- Tuesday, May 14th (LRI Office)
- Tuesday, May 21th (LRI Office)
- Tuesday, May 28th (LRI Office)
- Monday, June 3rd (RI State House)
- Tuesday, June 11th (LRI Office)
- Tuesday, June 18th (LRI Office)
- Tuesday, June 25th (LRI Office)
Session Time: 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Participants are selected based on information provided on the online application. Up to twenty-five (25) applicants will be selected to participate.
The application deadline is Friday, March 1, 2024.