College Program Overview
College Leadership Rhode Island (CLRI) is designed for motivated minds, innovative thinkers, and active learners, 26 years of age or younger. As an organization, we believe in the power of shared experience and diverse perspectives. That’s why the CLRI program is open to individuals in all areas of study and career paths. Since 2004, the CLRI program has inspired, educated, and engaged more than 500 young adults, helping to set them up for success as they navigate post-secondary life and early career.
Running concurrently with the academic year (September-May), class members will explore careers in the nonprofit, private, and public sectors, build relationships with the Rhode Island community, and develop skills that will contribute to the careers of their choice. The program is a comprehensive experience where class members can elevate their own abilities, grow within a diverse cohort, and become engaged members of the Rhode Island community.
CLRI is provided to class members tuition free, thanks to the generous support of our sponsors: Papitto Opportunity Connection, Amica, Ting & Ian Barnard, Maryann & John Mulattieri, PPL Foundation, Navigant Credit Union, and The Ram Lal Seekri Endowment.
Applications for the 2024 class are open!
Who Should Apply?
Join a group of dynamic and supportive individuals, all who have:
- Passion for the people and the future of Rhode Island
- Commitment to community through past and present activities
- Openness to expanding your professional network
- Willingness to learn and grow from a wide array of individuals
- A desire to build skills that will equip you to navigate and set a foundation for your early career
CLRI is made up of eight session days, plus exclusive networking opportunities and behind-the-scenes tours exploring topics across a range of sectors.
Some topics include:
- What Today’s Companies Look for When Hiring
- The Ins and Outs of Networking
- The Etiquette Code
- Entrepreneurship and Influencing
- Exploring Service & Rhode Island’s Nonprofit Landscape
- Lessons from Nonprofit Leaders
- CliftonStrengths Based Coaching
- Civic Engagement with Government
- Perfecting the Philanthropic Ask: Developing Your Perfect Pitch
- Defining Aspects of Personal Well Being
- Fundamentals of Financial Literacy
CLRI class members can expect to:
- Identify and grow their personal leadership qualities through individualized coaching
- Develop the skills needed to build their early careers, while exploring career pathways across sectors and industries
- Access peer support, professional networks, and circles of influence to build their civic and professional engagement in Rhode Island
- Create a common understanding within their class to bridge differences
- Engage in activities that will challenge them to develop skills and behaviors leading to career preparedness
- Explore industries and organizations that they may not have had the opportunity to prior to the program
Participants are selected based on information provided in the application and a personal interview conducted by Leadership Rhode Island staff and alumni.
The CLRI Selection Committee, made up of LRI alumni, selects a group of up to 50 participants. The committee seeks to create an environment that is conducive to growth and inclusivity through a well-balanced group, with an emphasis on broad representation of colleges, fields of study, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, geographic area, and interests.
The College Leadership Rhode Island Program is an experiential program. Applicants must commit to full attendance at every session day, consisting of nine Friday sessions from 8:00am – 5:30pm at various locations.
Friday, September 8, 2023 (Orientation)
Friday, October 13, 2023
Friday, November 3, 2023
Friday, December 8, 2023
Friday, February 9, 2024
Friday, March 22, 2024
Friday, April 12, 2024
Friday, May 3, 2024 (Commencement)