College Program Overview
Modeled after LRI’s Core Program for business and community leaders, in 2004 the College Leadership Rhode Island (CLRI) Program was founded to inspire, educate, and engage a diverse group of emerging young adult leaders* as they transition from college to career.
Thanks to the generous support of our sponsors: Amica, Ting & Ian Barnard, Maryanne & John Mulattieri, National Grid, and Navigant Credit Union, CLRI is a tuition-free, academic-year-long program (September-May) that prepares students and recent college graduates to navigate life after college. Through experiential learning, students explore careers in the nonprofit, private, public, and philanthropic sectors, while developing soft skills and leadership competencies for the 21st century. The program provides students with the knowledge, skills, and networks necessary to develop their professional lives and build a future as engaged Rhode Island citizens.
*College Leadership Rhode Island is a student and recent college graduate program, with curriculum designed for young adults ages 18-26. Applications for the 2021 class are open! The deadline to apply has been extended to April 30, 2020.
Who Should Apply?
The curriculum is designed for college students and recent graduates 26 years of age or younger, who are emerging leaders in their school, campus and/or community.
You might consider applying for College Leadership Rhode Island if the following qualities describe you:
- Passion for the people and the future of Rhode Island
- Personal commitment to shape Rhode Island’s future
- Commitment to community through past and present activities
- Demonstrated leadership within your campus
- Desire to enhance your leadership influence and professional network
- Willingness to commit the time and energy necessary to complete program requirements
- Commitment to supporting leadership and stewardship of Rhode Island
“Being able to learn about Rhode Island, the community, and all that it has to offer motivated me to take advantage of where I live instead of staying confined to campus life. The networking opportunities that CLRI provided continue to help me succeed in my career path with college behind me, and the friendships I have made with other like-minded individuals in the program have proven to be invaluable.”
– Erica, Johnson & Wales University
The College Leadership Rhode Island Program is an experiential program. Applicants must commit to full attendance at every session day, consisting of nine Friday sessions from 8:00am – 5:30pm at various locations.
Friday, September 11, 2020
Friday, October 2, 2020
Friday, November 6, 2020
Friday, December 4, 2020
Friday, February 5, 2021
Friday, March 26, 2021
Friday, April 16, 2021
Friday, April 30, 2021
Friday, May 7, 2021
Participants are selected based on information provided on the application and a personal interview.
The CLRI Selection Committee, made up of LRI alumni, select a group of approximately 50-75 participants. The committee looks first to select individuals based on their personal leadership accomplishments and/or future potential. Then, the committee seeks to create a well-balanced class, with an emphasis on broad representation of colleges, fields of study, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, geographic areas and community interests.
College Leadership Rhode Island explores the nonprofit, public, and private sectors. Session days include the following topics:
- What Today’s Companies Look for When Hiring
- The Ins and Outs of Networking
- The Etiquette Code
- A Positive Online Presence
- Exploring Service & Rhode Island’s Nonprofit Landscape
- Lessons from Nonprofit Leaders
- Volunteer Service and Your Resume
- Strengths Based Interviews
- Engaging with Government
- Perfecting the Ask: Developing Your Elevator Pitch
College Leadership Rhode Island graduates can expect to:
- Identify and build their leadership style, strengths, and competencies
- Develop the soft and professional skills needed to secure meaningful employment
- Explore career pathways in private, nonprofit and public sectors
- Access peer support, professional networks and circles of influence necessary to build their civic and professional lives in Rhode Island