College Program Overview
College Leadership Rhode Island (CLRI) is a career readiness program that inspires, educates, and engages a diverse group of student leaders. Founded in 2004, CLRI is a tuition-free, semester-long program (4 full-day sessions) that explores careers in the nonprofit, public and private sectors through experiential learning and direct access to community and industry leaders.
The program prepares students to navigate life after college by providing them with professional networks and knowledge to build their careers, and encourages them to remain lifelong learners and engaged citizens in Rhode Island.
Who Should Apply?
The curriculum is designed for college students, sophomore level and above, within the age range of 18 and 26 years old, who have been identified as leaders within their school, campus and/or community.
You might consider applying for College Leadership Rhode Island if the following qualities describe you:
- Passion for the people and the future of Rhode Island
- Personal commitment to shape Rhode Island’s future
- Commitment to community through past and present activities
- Demonstrated leadership within your campus
- Desire to enhance your leadership influence and professional network
- Willingness to commit the time and energy necessary to complete program requirements
- Commitment to supporting leadership and stewardship of Rhode Island
“Being able to learn about Rhode Island, the community, and all that it has to offer motivated me to take advantage of where I live instead of staying confined to campus life. The networking opportunities that CLRI provided continue to help me succeed in my career path with college behind me, and the friendships I have made with other like-minded individuals in the program have proven to be invaluable.”
– Erica, Johnson & Wales University
College Leadership Rhode Island is a semester-long program, offered in both Fall and Spring semesters starting in 2018. Participants must commit to the time requirements of the class, consisting of four Friday full-day sessions, light pre-session reading, and preparation.
2018 Spring Class Schedule
Friday, February 9, 2018
Friday, March 9, 2018
Friday, April 6, 2018
Friday, May 11, 2018
Participants are selected based on information provided on the application and a personal interview. Please allow ample time to prepare the application and to obtain required materials to meet our deadline of September 24, 2017.
The CLRI Selection Committee, made up of LRI alumni, select a group of approximately 35-40 participants. The committee looks first to select individuals based on their personal leadership accomplishments and/or future potential. Then, the committee seeks to create a well-balanced class, with an emphasis on broad representation of colleges, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds, geographic areas and community interests. All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision by December 2017.
College Leadership Rhode Island explores the nonprofit, public, and private sectors. Session days include the following topics:
- What Today’s Companies Look for When Hiring
- The Ins and Outs of Networking
- The Etiquette Code
- A Positive Online Presence
- Exploring Service & Rhode Island’s Nonprofit Landscape
- Lessons from Nonprofit Leaders
- Volunteer Service and Your Resume
- Strengths Based Interviews
- Engaging with Government
- Perfecting the Ask: Developing Your Elevator Pitch
College Leadership Rhode Island graduates can expect to:
- Identify and build their leadership style, strengths and competencies
- Develop the soft and professional skills needed to secure meaningful employment
- Explore career pathways in private, nonprofit and public sectors
- Access peer support, professional networks and circles of influence necessary to build their civic and professional lives in Rhode Island